Thursday 23 April 2009

From: Cinematical.com

X-Men Origins: Wolverine is now at the saturation point where I consciously stop paying attention, and avoid the stills, the clips, and the television spots as much as I can. But now the merchandising is hitting the shelves much to my amusement (and horror -- just think how much of this stuff ends up in a landfill) and though Wolverine is the first movie of the summer, I think it takes the merchandising prize with this: The Limited Edition Schick Quattro Titanium Razor.

I don't know why its marketing logic makes me laugh, but it does. Of course anything with a metal blade is an obvious tie-in, but the commercials aren't about razor sharp claws, they're themed around Wolverine's legendary muttonchops! Schick is even running a contest to award the man with the finest Wolverine facial hair a bunch of prizes. If this leads to a muttonchop comeback, I'll be really happy, provided you boys keep them as nicely groomed as Logan's. Unfortunately, that "limited edition" label will keep a lot of dudes from even opening the package. Ugh.

Of course, if they really wanted to be obvious and true to the character, they would have slapped Wolverine on some beer advertisements, but that pesky PG-13 rating gets in the way. He can chug brews on screen, but off? He has to sell milk.

No comments: