Wednesday 29 April 2009

'X-Men Origins: Wolverine' is personal for Hugh Jackman

From: hitfix.com
Written by: Daniel Fienberg.

While Hugh Jackman may have been the breakout star of the three blockbuster "X-Men" movies, he was one mutant among many, with an assortment of Oscar winners and theater legends all gunning for their own super-powered moments.

In the new "X-Men Origins: Wolverine," it's Jackman's show. It's his character in the title, his image front-and-center in the poster and his name listed as both leading man and producer. It's no wonder that Jackman admitted, at the recent "Wolverine" press day, that even without playing favorites, this movie means a little extra to him.

"There's no less effort or desire that goes into every role. Every film has that sense for me as an actor. Obviously this movie has a different dimension as producer," Jackman acknowledges. "I found myself yesterday asking everyone what they thought of the movie and I was nervous about it, because individually I gathered everybody here... In that way, I feel it's more personal to me. It's more my baby. I asked all these actors and Gav, the director, to come on board, so obviously I'm more attached to it. It feels more personal. That's the difference."

As producer, Jackson assembled a supporting cast featuring Tony winner Liev Schreiber, ubiquitous character actor Danny Huston, versatile leading man Ryan Reynolds, "Friday Night Lights" heartthrob Taylor Kitsch and Grammy winner Will.i.am. The assemblage of new and familiar mutants is directed by Oscar winner Gavin Hood ("Tsotsi"). Adding to the pressure, though, is a new complexity for Jackman's Logan, who was counted on for brawling, wise-cracking and only the occasional emotional subplot in the first three "X-Men" films.

No comments: