Monday 1 June 2009

Bryan Singer on Superman Returns Sequel, X-Men Origins: Magneto

Bryan Singer on Superman Returns Sequel, X-Men Origins: Magneto
Posted using ShareThis

Bryan Singer kinda wishes he had stayed onboard the X-Men train and directed the third installment of the trilogy, 2006’s “X-Men: The Last Stand”, which went to the much-maligned Brett Ratner after Singer jumped ship to direct the underperforming “Superman Returns”. I happened to like “Superman Returns” more than the average comic book geek, and to be perfectly honest with you, I didn’t care very much for “The Last Stand”, not because Ratner had directed it (as seems to be the case with many a fanboys), but just because, well, it wasn’t all that entertaining or interesting. Anyways, while out doing the promo rounds for his WWII drama “Valkyrie”, Bryan Singer talked a bit about “Superman Returns” and the possibility of returning to the X-Men franchise.

Says Singer to Total Film Magazine (via):

Asked whether he wished he had directed X-Men: The Last Stand, he admitted he had that feeling “before I was watching it, during watching it, after watching it.”

“It’s weird for me to watch it, because I’m so close to the universe. And also Brett is a good friend of mine. But, of course, I would love to return to that universe.

“Apt Pupil, X-Men and now Valkyrie…I’ve lived in that Nazi universe for quite a while. I just might need to take a little break before I do something like that.”

Sounds like he’s leaning towards NOT directing, despite the fact that he’d probably be welcome back with open arms by everyone, including the fans. But you gotta wonder if this spin-off will even happen. At the moment, Deadpool seems to be the only spin-off fans are clamoring for…

About the possibility of Singer returning to Supes’ world, he was even more unsure:

“I don’t know, I don’t know. There are still issues…I just…I just don’t know. I don’t necessarily…I don’t know. It’s one of those things where…It’s so weird talking about stuff unless I’m about to ramp up and shoot it.”

Basically, probably not gonna happen.

No comments: